The legendary B.V. Karanth often said, “Theatre is a subject that has no grammar, that recognizes no boundaries no limitations”. Symbolizing this very spirit are a rather unique couple—- Bhagirathi and Baharul Islam—–who have been constantly challenging all boundaries, experimenting with new ideas and restlessly exploring the vast ocean that theatre is. Through their collective commitment and selfless dedication, they have made an immense contribution to Assamese theatre. Owing to their tireless effort, Seagull has become a familiar name to the theatre-enthusiasts in the country.
BHAGIRATHI BAI KADAM
She was born in Gawadagere, Mysore (1963) .Diploma in dramatics from Ninasam, Karnataka .Graduated from National School of Drama ,New Delhi in 1990 with specialization in Acting .In 1991-92 obtained fellowship from NSD for a project on Solo Narrative Acting of female characters, Shakuntala ,Gandhri and Mallika. Acted with Ninasam Repertory Company during 1986-87 and 1990-91.Acted in more than 65 plays in different language like Kannada, Assamese, Hindi, and English. Some important production were-Nala Damayanti,miss Julie, Twelfth Night, Soharab Rustum, Shantata court Chalu Ahe, Hamlet, The Father, Antar yatra, Jatra, Ashadka Ak Din, Apeksha, Seagull, Madhyavartin, Kamala Devi Chtoopadya etc.
In 1992-93 joined Tara Art of Londan as on Actress for the production of the play Heer Ranjha.
Designed and Direction many plays to name a five Mid Sammer Night Dream., Antigone ,Tughlaque, Sarasammna Samadi, Sambha Siva Prahasana,Puntila And his man Matti, Kamala Devi Chtoopadya,The Lesson, Julius Caesar, Lehron ke rajhans, Ashar ka ekdin etc.
Received Junior Fellowship and Senior Fellowship for working with differently able children. From Department of Culture Govt. of India. Working as a Principal of Seagull Theatre Academy in Guwahati. Assam.
Directed Kola kaurir gan, Buddhuram, Alibaba Challis Sor, Bubar santan, Gilheri ramayana for differently able children.
Directed Pinjorar Vidyalay, Roja, Geete Gathe Milan mala, Bhutor Coat, KIndara Yogi etc for children.
Translated play from Kannada to Assamese –Pinjara Vidyalaya ,Heddayana ,Sambha Shiva Prahasana Mukana Makallu, Kindara Joogi, Tadrupi , Santa Kanak Dasa and Kuvempu’s five essays on Cultures in Kannada
Received the National Award as Special Jury Award for Acting in the Film Adajya (in Assames) in 44th National Film Festival 97.
Received Kannada State award for Supporting Actress for the film Agasi Parlor.
Received Swarna Jayanti Award from the Govt. of Karnataka for her contribution towards Indian theater 2007.
Received Best Actress award in Lonavla International film festival 2016 for the film RODOR SITHI
Email ID- [email protected]
Born in 16th August 1964, Rangjuli, Assam
Graduated from National School of Drama in Acting (1987-1990)
After completing NSD, formed own theatre group SEAGULL in Guwahati, Assam in 1990 and started journey through servicing the Nation with its various activity wings.
Acted Almost 80 plays in Different languages- Assamese, Hindi and English
(Macbeth, Midsummer Night’s dream, Untouchable, Chanakky Vishnugupt, Aakash etc)
Designed and directed
- Almost 30 plays for Seagull Theatre including Aakash, Agni Barkha, Guwahati Guwahati, Urukha,Herr Puntila and his man Matti , Nibaran Bhattacharya, Hattamelar Hipare, Jatra, Dreams, Holi, Court marsha, Rhinoceros
- 1 play for NSD Repertory, New Delhi ( Who afraid of Virginia Woolf)
- 1 play for Ninasam Repertory, Karnataka (Modala Gitti)
- 1 play for Rangayana, Mysore ( The Seagull)
- 1 play for Banjara Mumbai ( Anurati Maya)
- And For Many plays for Commercial Mobile theatre in Assam including King Lear, Oedipus the King, Eibaar Kaar paal, Tajjyaputra, Gundaraaj,He Mahanagar
Acted in Assamese Commercial Mobile theatre also for 4 years
- Bhagyadevi Theatre
- Kohinoor Theatre
- Anirvaan Theatre
- Meghdoot Theatre
Conducted many workshops on Realistic Acting.
In 1992-93 joined TARA ART of London as an Actor for the production of the play HEER RANJHA. The play rehearsed in London and thereafter extensively toured UK and Japan performing many shows.
Toured various place
s and performed in many festivals:
New Delhi, Mumbai, Kolkata, Hyderabad, Siliguri, Rohtak, Barpeta, Ernakulam, Banglore, Pune, Dhardwar, Amritsar, Bhopal, Jorhat, Allahabad, Mao,Tezpur, Dibrugarh, Nogaon, Ujjain, Indore, Patna, Jabalpur, Begusarai, Kerala, Baroda, Agartala, Rajastan, Lacknow, Gangtak etc.
Acted in Many Feature films in different languages
- In Assamese– Suruj, Pitaputra,Bhai bhai, Morom Nadir Gabhoru Ghat, Aponjon, Asene Kunuba Hiyat, Sangkalpa, Baibhav, Ronga Modar, Antaheen Jatra, Barood, Nayak, Chandu, pratyahbaan, Saat Numboror Sandhanat etc
- In Kannada:- Hoomale (Directed by Nagathihalli Chandrashekhar) Kotta ( Directed by M S Satthyu)
- In Saadri:- Maya
- In Hindi: Kalsandhya ( Bhabendra Nath Saikia), Kotta ( M S Satthyu), Merit Animal( Junaid Imam) and Ghode ko Jalebi Khilane Le Jaa Riya Hoon (Anamika Haksar).
- In Bengali:- Alifa (Deep Choudhury )
Acted in some TV serials and Tele films also.
- Saturday suspense, Tarkaash for Zee TV
- Kamrup ki kahani, Picnic etc for DDK National
- Jibonor batat, lahor,jor puri haat etc for DDK Guwahati / PPC
Directed a short film RANI GAIDENLEU (1997) produced by Girish Karnad as part of SWARAJ NAMA for Door Darshsan Kendra ,New Delhi.
Worked as coordinator in the film DILSE (Director-Mani Rathnam)
Directed 2 feature Films
- ASENE KONOBA HIYAT (2000)
- RODOR SITHI (Scare Crow) in 2014.
Rodor Sithi( Scare Crow) received Best foreign film award in Excellence category in the CANADA INTERNATIONAL FILM FESTIVAL 2015 and Best actress award(Bhagirathi) in 1st Lonavla International Film Festival 2016.
As an empanelled producer of Prasar Bharati Broadcasting Corporation of India, Produced and directed:-
- Two documentaries– THE DHULIA AND PUPPET THEATRE IN ASSAM (1998), LOKOSANANKRITI (2005),
- Three Fictions– NISHANT (2007), BEYOND THE OBVIOUS (2009) and METEKA (2011)
As a WRITER
Wrote and Published 5 books-
- Akanto Monere,
- Simar Sipare,
- Beyond the Obvious
- Khiriki Khuliyei
- Kisu Katha Kisu Natak– a collection of his 6 plays and its production processes. (2012) published by Publication Board of Assam, Govt of Assam.
Received many awards including –
- Sanskriti Samman from Eka ebong koekjon publication, Guwahati, (1997)
- Monohar Singh Smriti Puraskar 2005 from NSD approved by Ministry of Culture, Govt of India
- Natyaprobor Award from Sharadakanta Bordoloi smriti committee, Nowgaon in 2011.
- Bishnu Basu Smriti Samman by Bratyajon theatre, Kolkata in 2012.
5 Badal SIrcar Rang Ratan Award 2015 from FACT Rang Mahoul Begusarai,Bihar.
- Rastriya rang Parsai Samman 2016 from Jabalpur Vibechana 2016
- Habib Tanveer National Award 2016 from Ras Kala Manch, Rohtak
House no 14, Juroni Path
R G Baruah Road, Guwahati 781 005, Assam, INDIA
[email protected] Cell: 09678006567